Friday, September 16, 2016

Shailene Woodley Talks Family Drama

Shailene Woodley recently sat down for an interview with Net-a-Porter's The Edit. Here's what she had to say:

On her family life growing up, where her parents, both counselors, would welcome in teenage runaways or fleeing victims of domestic violence:

“I came home to things that weren’t great. My family is super-fucked up in many ways, but they are also my everything. They would do anything for me, and I would do anything for them. That’s a lot more than most people can say about their families. I’m grateful for the shit that happened.”

On Snowden:

“When I found out they were making this movie, I begged my agents to get me a meeting with Oliver [Stone]. I just wasn't on his radar. I don't think he'd seen anything I'd done. I just wanted to sit down with him and say, as a young woman entering adulthood, thank you for making a movie that will change my life, and my peers’ lives. And thank you for doing it so soon. Really, there is no one else who could except Oliver Stone. It’d be easier 10 years from now.”

On the failings of sex ed:
“As a young woman you don’t learn how to pleasure yourself, you don’t learn what an orgasm should be, you don’t learn that you should have feelings of satisfaction. I’ve always had a dream of making a book called There’s No Right Way to Masturbate. If masturbation were taught in school, I wonder how [many] fewer people would get herpes aged 16, or pregnant at 14?”

On photoshop:
“I had crazy, horrific acne when I filmed Divergent. [But] you would never know because they retouch you. Yes, it’s a movie, it’s their product and I am playing a character, but, as a human being, why wouldn’t you just let my zits show?”

On politics:
“I have a hard time having political conversations in Hollywood. Most people there are so privileged, they don’t see the 99% of America, because they don’t have to. It’s hard for people like that to see another perspective.”


No comments:

Post a Comment