Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Adrian Grenier Wants to Save the World

Entourage star Adrian Grenier recently sat down for an interview with New York Magazine. Here's what he had to say:

On plastic straws:
“We consume 500 million straws each day. The equivalent of 127 school buses filled with straws. It’s disgusting. There should be children in those school buses, going to school, to learn, not straws.”

On how he defines himself:
“I’m a guy who cares about people. Acting is my day job, but at night, I get to be a superhero. There are superheroes, people who fly or have all these extraterrestrial powers or supernatural abilities. Everybody can be a superhero every day by doing very simple things. Change the world.”

On his upcoming documentary 52: The Search for the Loneliest Whale:
“It’s fascinating to see this story because of our relationship to whales historically, and what they mean to us symbolically. Whales are the keeper of wisdom.”

On Feminism:
“I would consider myself a feminist. But women don’t need my permission to take what is rightfully theirs after all these years, so I don’t even need to declare my feminism as a righteous thing. I just am, because I recognize that it’s happening, it’s right. And I’m just in awe of it and excited about the prospect. Maybe our saving grace is if we can balance the male energy, which tends to be short-term thinking, overly aggressive, often indelicate, with the feminine energy, which is more careful study and frankly more sophisticated, we might actually be able to build a world that would be in balance.”

On Burning Man:
“It’s a bunch of people who are open, available to connect, and artistic, and are all conspiring to make the most amazing piece of art, which is everybody collaborating. It’s fantastic...It’s like, could you imagine having discovered America? Would you stop talking about that? It’s like, I went to this new land. There’s nothing like it. And that’s the thing. It’s captivating, because it’s unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. And I’m worldly, I’ve been around the world. And it happens to reflect the value system that I agree with. The reason I responded so much to Burning Man is, that is my ethos, that is my people, that is the way I’ve always lived and wanted to live. And there is a Zeitgeist of humans who think that way. If I didn’t have an umbrella, for example, I would go from umbrella to umbrella with people and get where I needed to go, dry.”

On what he looks for in a woman:
“We’re in the information age. People know more about their world, about the corporations, about what’s possible, about how we can connect with others who share their values and unite against common goals and causes, and those are the people I’m bonding with. Not the ignorant people who only watch reality television.”

On his current relationship status:
“You know, it’s funny. I was listening to this Radiolab episode about K-Pop. In K-Pop, they completely manufacture their pop stars and they make the pop stars sign contracts where they vow not to date because they’re supposed to be the property of the people, they’re supposed to be perpetually single and attainable. So in honor of that episode and the Korean pop stars that I aspire to be, I am perpetually single for the sake of my fans.”

Read the full interview at New York Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment