Wednesday, September 7, 2016

James Franco Honored in Deauville

The Hollywood Reporter announces that James Franco was honored with a career retrospective at the Deauville film festival. In an interview at the festival, here's what he had to say:

On "In Dubious Battle," which he premiered at the festival:
“Even though the novel takes place in the Great Depression, it’s still very relevant to a lot of things that are going on now and as long as certain social relationships are in play, stories like this are still important. I read the news every day and I feel like there are so many [unjust] things. The issue that my movie addresses is rights for the working class and it’s still a very important story to tell. A lot of jobs in America are being sent overseas and the workplace is changing. I think it’s something that should be addressed, I don’t want a situation where a small minority of the country is living in these walled off palaces and the rest of the country is in poverty.”

On taking part in his film students' projects:
“I feel like there is a certain kind of overexposure, but I also know what it’s like to be a young filmmaker. I can do that, just lend myself and put myself in those films to get those films made, it’s worth the risk.”

On his preference for independent films:
“The more money it costs, the more people have a say in how it’s made, so it would have to be the right people that I’m working with. I’d have to believe in their vision on whatever the money is being spent on.”


No comments:

Post a Comment