Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Marlon Wayans Talks 50 Shades of Black

Marlon Wayans recently sat down for an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, where he talked about his upcoming parody film 50 Shades of Black. The publication quotes him as follows:

"When I had seen women on the plane reading this book and just getting so hot and bothered, I was like, what is in this?! Part of me was reading it because I wanted to learn something, because, you know, women, I always want to please you guys...If you watch Wayans comedies, we rarely do anything that's just offensive. We're equal-opportunity offenders — everybody gets it. For us, mockery is the best form of flattery, and you want the people that you're sending up to probably laugh the hardest."

Did you think about this parody upon the release of the books or the movie?
"Books. I was gonna write my first parody book — me and my producing and writing partner Rick Alvarez. When I had seen women on the plane reading this book and just getting so hot and bothered, I was like, what is in this? So part of me was reading it because I wanted to learn something, because, you know, women, I always want to please you guys. Once we saw the movie, everything clicked. Oh my god, forget the book, scrap the book, do the movie."

Will fans be offended?
"No. I actually bumped in E.L. James. We had a drink together, a couple thousands of glasses of wine. She was like, 'Would I be offended?' I said, 'You can see the movie!' She said, 'Is there anything I wouldn't like?' I said, 'Alright, there's one or two jokes you may not like, but other than that, you're gonna think it's absolutely hilarious.'
We always do things with kids' gloves. If you watch Wayans comedies, we rarely do anything that's just offensive. We're equal opportunity offenders — everybody gets it. For us, mockery is the best form of flattery, and you want the people that you're sending up to probably laugh the hardest. That's the goal, and I think we've achieved a certain amount of respect in that way that although you know it's gonna be crazy in terms of the flavor, it's always gonna be a little bit insightful and just funny."

There are sequels planned for Grey. Would you be open to Black sequels too?
"If it's successful, sure. But I don't know, I guess I'm not as much [equipped] inside with confidence as George Lucas, where I go, "I'm gonna do three of them!" I just go one at a time, and if they love it and I have ideas for the second one and a third one. But I just want to make sure this one is successful, and you can't do a sequel to a movie that bombs. Who wants to do a Howard the Duck 2? I just do the best I can and see what happens.
Honestly, I want to take a break from parody. I just want to go do some comedies: go write a buddy action comedy, or write up my own Beverly Hills Cop, or write a romantic comedy or a family comedy. I want to start working different layers, all under the umbrella of comedy, but I want to start showcasing more of what I can do overall. It's a good transition."

Read the full interview at The Hollywood Reporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment