Tuesday, January 5, 2016

John Stamos Talks DUI On Howard Stern

John Stamos recently appeared on the Howard Stern Show, where he talked about getting clean. Stamos said the following, as reprinted by People:


"I could stop [drinking] on a dime. I could stop. In the times that I went back, it just sort of deteriorated my life, and who I was, and my morals and my values. I lost myself, I lost my sense of discipline, which my dad taught me so well, and I just became someone – more and more I was just dipping into that dark place. It happened more and more and it just got darker and darker. It stunted my growth. Emotionally – maybe I would be married with kids right now. I had a horrific DUI, which I am so embarrassed by. I could have hurt somebody, it was really stupid and ignorant of me. And I hated myself for that. It was a bad, bad thing. So I said to myself, I have to stop this up and down, up and down, I have to." 

On entering rehab:
"I walked in those doors, I said, 'Tell me what to do.' I'll do anything I can – and if it doesn't work after the time, then it didn't work, but I'm going to apply myself a hundred percent to it. Which I haven't over the years." 

On the impact of losing his mother:
"I derailed over the years. I never really got back on track. A piece of me just was gone. ... It was a big part of my purpose for many, many years to be there for her and be a good son...I was on some medications, antidepressants and that damn Ambien, I'm so happy to be off that. Completely off. I don't take anything. My memory was starting to get really f---ed up too, from that. Difficult to memorize scripts, I couldn't remember names and places and things. And that was the hardest thing to kick, by the way. Booze, and whatever, that happened, but the Ambien was tough." 

Stamos also revealed that he knocked someone up when he was in his early 20s, but that they mutually decided not to keep it.

No comments:

Post a Comment