Monday, January 4, 2016

Bruce Dern Talks Alfred Hitchcock

Actor Bruce Dern, 79, recently sat down for an interview with the Los Angeles Times, where he recalled working with some of the greats over his prolific career. The publication quotes him as follows, when talking about Alfred Hitchcock, with whom he worked on 1976's Family Plot:


"The first day on 'Family Plot,' I pulled my chair next to Hitchcock, who sat in his little director's chair. Just before the end of the first day, he turns to his first assistant and said, 'I wonder if I might have a word with my crew?' Because he was so big in the neck area, he would never turn to talk to you because it would take him three minutes and a chiropractor to get his neck around. As he stands up, the whole chair comes with him because his size spills through the chair. He doesn't even look at me, but says, 'A hand please.' So I am right behind him, grab the legs of the chair and he hops out of the chair. He goes to the apron of the soundstage and says, 'Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to thank all of you for quite a wonderful first day.' They are kind of applauding. And then he says 'Personally.' He walked around the stage and thanked individually 71 people on the set by their first name. "

Read the full interview at the LA Times.


No comments:

Post a Comment