Thursday, December 10, 2015

Jared Leto Suing TMZ

TMZ recently published a video of Jared Leto and an audio engineer critiquing Taylor Swift's 1989, and at the end of the tape, Leto says of Swift, "I mean, fuck her. I don't give a fuck about her." After the video was published, Leto tweeted, "The truth is I think @taylorswift13 is amazing + an incredible example of what's possible. If I hurt her or her fans my sincerest apologies." 

Now Leto is suing TMZ, because they published a video that they knew to be stolen. The videographer sold the footage to TMZ for $2,000. Leto released the following statement to The Hollywood Reporter: 

"Last Sunday, I was alerted that TMZ had acquired personal and private video footage of me in my home and that they were planning to leak it on their site. My team notified TMZ immediately that I fully owned the footage and that their source had absolutely no rights to sell it. They chose to post it anyway. Let's be clear. This was stolen footage. This was an invasion of privacy. And it was both legally and morally wrong. Regardless of who we are, we should all be able to talk freely in the privacy of our own homes without the fear that our unfiltered thoughts or actions will get broadcast to the world. We have the right to privacy and security and when we don't have protections in place to safeguard those things, we lose the freedom to speak loudly and clearly - right or wrong - about anything and everything we choose to. I have chosen to file this lawsuit not because I want to, but in hopes it will encourage more people to stop trafficking in stolen goods, to follow proper legal procedure and so that it may motivate additional consideration for the harm these acts can create, especially when the only intention is to simply further the bottom line for the companies and corporations that commit these acts."


No comments:

Post a Comment