Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Bruce Campbell Did Another Reddit AMA

Bruce Campbell returned to Reddit yesterday for his second Ask Me Anything. Here are some of the highlights:

On what he would do if he actually had a chainsaw for a hand:
"The first thing I would do? Cut a cord of wood 'cause winter's comin'.

Second thing? I'd hire myself out as just, like, a tree trimmer kinda guy. You know - hang with one hand, cut with the other. I'd be pretty good at that eventually...
Edit: Transcriber here. It should be cord, not quart. Thanks! (TIL a cord of wood is a thing.)"

On whether or not he watched B movies as a kid:
"I did not watch B-movies as a kid. I did not watch horror movies as a kid. I did not read horror comics as a kid. I read a comic called Sad Sack which was about a loser, a private in the army, who was mostly peeling potatoes.
Sam Raimi, however, actually read Spider-Man. Those comics, to me, I couldn’t relate to them because I couldn’t really relate to a superhero; which is why I’m hoping people will relate to the character Ash. He has no superpowers. He is not a CIA, FBI, Navy Seal…He’s YOU."

On whether or not it feels different to play Ash now, as opposed to when he first portrayed him:
"Yes, Ash feels very different now, because now I know how to act. The very first Ash, I couldn’t act my way out of a wet paper bag, so I’m actually very glad to go back and fix Ash now like George Lucas fixed his movies.
I’m going to do the same thing. I’m going to go back there and we’re going to create an Ash that can speak in full sentences now, so I’m looking forward to that."

On if he wished he'd been in any movies that he wasn't in:
"I’ll be honest with you. I never play that “What if” game. Mostly fans like to play that “What if” game. Actors are way too practical - Like Marty Scorcese… he’s never going to bust my door down. I’ve made peace with that.
Bobby Deniro, I’m probably never going to work with the guy. I’m down with that. I live in the world of reality, even though I make my living out of fantasy."

On which of his characters is closest to his real personality:
"Hopefully not Ash, because he's kind of a moron. I'll take Brisco, The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. He was the closest I've ever played to actually being a real hero. Like, not that flawed - He was smart and capable, so that would be me on my absolute best day. Ash would be me on my worst day."

On playing Reagan on Fargo:
"Playing Reagan in Fargo was great. My buddy, John Cameron, who produces the show - we’re high school buddies. We go all the way back and my kids grew up in the Reagan era during my formative years, so John and I would imitate him mercilessly because he was a very “imitatible” president. His mannerisms, the way he spoke and everything – and you know, look, every actor wants to do a couple of things in life. Like, I’ve played Elvis. Now I’ve done Ronald Reagan. I’ve played a cowboy.

Those are some of the bucket list things that actors do because they want to play certain iconic roles. The one thing I had to do was take it seriously: a) because it’s Fargo; they win Emmy’s and b) because there would be Ronald Reagan fans that would chase me down and beat me with sticks if I made him look like a jerk, or a moron, or whatever. The trick is to humanize the man."

Read the full AMA at Reddit.

No comments:

Post a Comment