Monday, October 12, 2015

Joanna Going Talks Depression And Bulimia

Actress Joanna Going recently sat down for an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, where she talked about some of her personal struggles. The magazine quotes her as follows:

"I have less dangerous addictions. It’s more like emotional addictions. I’ve struggled with depression in my life and sort of the way that the depression itself becomes an addiction. It becomes a comfort to you in a way. As bad as it feels, it’s familiar to you. And the depression itself is making you unable to reach out. So, I've definitely experienced that in my life. I have had struggles with some eating disorders, just eating issues. And I know that the endorphin addiction that can come with throwing up you know that I had to learn how that becomes an addiction, and that becomes a chemical reaction in your body. There’s a high off it and you know learning to manage that. I’ve never really been drawn to chemical alternatives. Certainly alcoholism runs in my family, so I’ve been weary in that way. And I have had people around me struggle with addiction, so I’ve been kind of that person trying to spearhead the intervention, and things like that."

On fans relating to her Kingdom character's struggles:
"It's a huge reward when you feel like okay we are getting some truth there, and if one person says, 'Oh yeah, I’m inspired to help myself out here.' It’s so gratifying. Yeah, I’m doing what I love  what I devoted my life to. So, yay, I get to be acting on an amazing show with an awesome character, but if you can have a little byproduct of sending some kind of message, that’s the frosting on the cake for any of us in this business. That we’re like hopefully touching somebody with some information. Sometimes I have to let go of my research, but I do try to be as truthful as possible."

No comments:

Post a Comment