Wednesday, October 14, 2015

J Law Talks Gender Pay Gap

Actress Jennifer Lawrence recently penned a piece for Lena Dunham's newsletter Lenny, where she talked about the Sony hack that revealed she was paid significantly less than her male costars were for American Hustle. Page Six excerpts her post as follows:

"I failed as a negotiator because I gave up early. I gave up early. I didn’t want to keep fighting over millions of dollars that, frankly, due to two franchises, I don’t need. I would be lying if I didn’t say there was an element of wanting to be liked that influenced my decision to close the deal without a real fight. I didn’t want to seem ‘difficult’ or ‘spoiled.’ This could be a young person thing. I’m sure it’s both. But this is an element of my personality that I’ve been working against for years, and based on the statistics, I don’t think I’m the only woman with this issue. I’m over trying to find the ‘adorable’ way to state my opinion and still be likable. Fuck that. I don’t think I’ve ever worked for a man in charge who spent time contemplating what angle he should use to have his voice heard. It’s just heard."

And on the Sony Hack revealing that Angelina Jolie was referred to as a "spoiled brat":
“For some reason, I just can’t picture someone saying that about a man.”


No comments:

Post a Comment