Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Albert Hammond Jr Talks New Record

Albert Hammond Jr's new album Momentary Masters comes out on July 31st. Hammond recently sat down with People to talk about the new album. The magazine quotes him as follows:

On reuniting with The Strokes last year after becoming sober:
"The whole band is … no one really does anything, besides one member, or something like that. So, it's like, nothing that would bring something back in a show. I feel like, the kind of stuff that would bring that back is not so much playing. Maybe being on the road but … those dates were more of a positive thing, just remembering how much we moved fans, and seeing the people we've reached, and how time has made us a better band."

On the record's influences:
"I was listening to The Cars for sure, the first Police record, Outlandos D'Amour. Talking Heads, Bowie. It's hard to say exact things because like, a few years ago, I listened to a lot of Kinks and Wipers and Wire, and I feel like that still has an effect on me. But influence is never so direct, like, "I hear this and then I go write that"; it's a subtle thing."

On recording the album at his home:
"Well, this band kind of came together on the road. I had a few songs that were almost done, like "Born Slippy" and "Touché," and I brought them to the guys, and they did such a good job with it. And then as we spent more time together, sort of isolated up here, that jovial, hang-out vibe kind of took shape. I don't know if this happened as I got older, but work-wise, I feel like it was just better to work for a few hours, take a break – this whole "work 15 hours until you break …" it just doesn't work for me."

Read the full interview at People.

No comments:

Post a Comment