Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Kelly Clarkson Talks Clive Davis Feud

Kelly Clarkson is on the cover of Variety's Power of Women LA issue. Here's what she had to say in her accompanying interview:

On the lack of women on the current pop charts:
“That was just insane to me. There’s a ton of female artists that are so badass right now.”

On watching Wonder Woman with her family:
“It’s very hard sometimes when you’re the mom of little girls and all you have are these damsels. These princesses are great. I love Belle. But it’s a little weird. She was trapped in a dungeon, and all of a sudden, they fell in love.”

On her first single for RCA, Miss Independent:
“I had to cry to get that song not only on my record but as the first single. The only reason I got it as the first single was because it tested well. Everybody was like, ‘That can’t be. There are too many guitars. That’s not really your sound. You’re the next Whitney Houston.’ I love Whitney Houston, but I don’t want to make those records. (After the song became a hit, she was shocked that the naysayers acted like they had supported her all along.) That first single for me was a very damaging time for my psyche. It was like, wow. So people just lie.”

On Clive Davis's reaction to her song Because of You:
“I was told that was a shitty song because it didn’t rhyme. A group of men thought it was OK to sit around a young woman and bully her. I was told I should shut up and sing. And then, this is the best part. He [Davis] played me the song that should be on the album, which was ‘Behind These Hazel Eyes,’ which I wrote. Am I a shitty writer?

Here’s the thing. It always sounds like I’m going against Clive Davis. You have no idea how excited I was when I found out he was taking over. It’s like meeting someone you’ve idolized since you were a kid and being let down. The only victory I see from the last 15 years is honestly just the fact that, even in such an incredibly not-healthy environment, we were very successful.”

On choosing to do The Voice instead of the American Idol reboot:
“We let them come to the table, because it’s my beginnings. At the end of the day, I don’t like being separate from my husband. Blake [Shelton] is his artist. We’re all there. For ‘American Idol,’ you have to travel. And it excites me to do something different. I’m not going to lie: I’m stoked about pushing the red button.


...On ‘Idol,’ you can’t really have a relationship. And I, as you can tell, love talking and having relationships...I hope I’m a little bit like Simon Cowell. For the most part, I love his honesty. This is not a nice industry. People think I am going to be super nice all the time. I am nice. But I also want to keep it real.”

Read the full interview at Variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment