Monday, September 25, 2017

Marilyn Manson Talks Romance, Skeletons, and Lana Del Rey

Marilyn Manson recently sat down for an interview with NME ahead of the release of his new album Heaven Upside Down, coming out on October 6th. Here's what he had to say:


Do you often write romantic songs?
“I think the whole record’s romantic. In a strange way.”

Is ‘Heaven Upside Down’ your most romantic record to date?
“It’s the most realised. My biggest and most fierce, certainly. Everyone likes their new record so I’m not going to sit here and say ‘I love my new record’, but this record is important in the scheme of what needs to happen and not in the‘I need to save the world’ or ‘I give a shit about anything other than making fun of the musicians who can’t make this record’ [way], or making my own records in the past feel bad for themselves for not being this record. I had to really outdo myself.”

Kanye West has said that he will run for president. What are the chances of us seeing you doing the same?
“Only if Johnny Depp is president and I’m the vice-president.”

What would your policies be?
“Well, we’d set new holidays for sure. Johnny Depp Day, Marilyn Manson Day. I wouldn’t live in the White House… It’s too white and too stupid-looking.”

Where do you live right now?
“Los Angeles. My house is not unlike this room. I like to keep it very dim. It’s decorated with the obvious things you’d expect Marilyn Manson’s house to be decorated with, but it’s not like a girl vampire’s house from a fucking horror film. It contains a lot of very sacred and beautiful things from my friends and things that I have acquired from scary people – things that are illegal and terrifying.”

Tell me about the illegal things.
“Well, human skeletons are all illegal. Most are seven-year-old Chinese boys, usually. I mean, it’s not the whole kid – just his skull.”

You turn 50 in just over a year – what’s the party going to be like?
“I hate birthdays. I’m not good at parties, I’m terrible at parties. I don’t even know the difference between a party and a problem.”

You have no children yourself – would you like to one day?
“Well, I’m not quite sure.”

But you are a godfather, right?
“Godfather of Lily-Rose Depp, yep. I was there in the house on her first date. And I gave her her first pair of high heels when she was in diapers. She vomited on me.”

I interviewed your friend, the actor Charlie Hunnam, the other day. He said he calls you ‘cunty bollocks’…
“Yes he does, ha!”

He also said that your new record was “fucking intense”. How do you like that?
“It’s good and he meant it… Charlie is very sensitive, and Charlie gave me the best advice on Sons Of Anarchy. In all my scenes with him I would say, ‘How do you do this?’ and he said, ‘Just pretend like you’re crazy and you don’t know it, like in real life.’”

The occult imagery you were playing around with 20 years ago seems to be mainstream now, like Lana Del Rey putting a hex on Trump. How do you feel about it? Do you feel vindicated?
“Is this before or after sex with Lana Del Rey?”

Pardon?
“I said, is this before or after I had or would have sex with Lana Del Rey?”

I didn’t ask if you had sex with Lana Del Rey.
“I didn’t say I did.”

Did you say you didn’t?
“I didn’t say I didn’t or I did… You know how she sings, she’s dead still and she bats her eyelashes. So I would imagine, hypothetically, [in] sexual parameters that she would do the same thing. I would also imagine that in a witchcraft-type environment she would also just bat her eyelashes and that might not really be effective. Although she is a very lovely girl.”

Read the full interview at NME.


No comments:

Post a Comment