Monday, July 10, 2017

Leave It to Beaver's Jerry Mathers Lost Weight To Save His Life

Former Leave It to Beaver star Jerry Mathers recently spoke out about losing 55 pounds back in 1997 when doctors told him he only have three to five years to live unless he made some major lifestyle changes. Here's what he had to say, as reprinted by Page Six:

“I was living the good life. I had side businesses and one of them was a catering business. And I was doing a lot of motion picture and television catering for crews, which is for about 100 to 200 people. It’s like setting up a whole restaurant. I was around food all the time and I was a very good cook. Of course, that entailed sitting down with people so I was sometimes eating five to six full meals a day … I was making a lot of money, everything was going great, and everyone around me was at least as fat as I was.”

On being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and bad cholesterol:
“I sold the catering company and went on a very strict diet. I’ve been controlling my weight with diet and exercise ever since. I walk everyday about six to eight miles. And I am now pre-diabetic because of that … dying from diabetes is a terrible way to go. It’s really a horrible death. It basically burns different parts of your body.

It’s really tough, especially when I go out to eat. But I think, ‘I can have this, but do I want to run further to get the weight off? Could I even get it off?’ It’s a daily struggle. I’m not cured. This is something I have to deal with all the time. And I’m hoping that by going out to educate people on diabetes, I can save my fans.”

And on today's sitcoms:
“I have a lot of problems with today’s TV shows. I honestly don’t watch a lot of them because to me, they seem very fake. It’s writers being put in a room to just make jokes … and I don’t find many of them funny. There’s also a very thin plot line. And to me, they’re just not very interesting. I do watch a lot of news. I try to stay informed on all the current events. But I don’t really have a big destination TV show.”

A post shared by Amy Anderson (@theamyanderson) on

No comments:

Post a Comment