Friday, July 14, 2017

Kurt Russell Reflects on Mentor Walt Disney

Kurt Russell recently spoke to People about Walt Disney; here's what he had to say:

“What I learned at Disney was how to make movies, and I learned that from Walt. Mr. Disney took me around and introduced me to many of the animators. I look back on it now and I realize I was this kid, and he was taking the time to pick my brain, because I think that was an important thing for him to do with young people.


And in return I got to listen to him talk about arcs of movies and characters. The process of building an audience’s expectations. The process of creating a character that the audience really cares about and attaching it to life, so that we can all relate to it. So, in that regard, I was getting lessons that I had no idea I was getting.”

On leaving set early one day when he was 13 to make it to a baseball game:
“I’m wondering how much trouble I’m in. Everyone is nice. The crew is great. And here comes Walt Disney. And I thought, ‘Oh-oh.’ And he came over and he said, ‘Well, young man, I hear you got the game-winning hit. Way to go! Have fun today, guys.’ And it was like from that moment on, I knew that guy was cool. He got it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment