Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Zoe Kazan Talks Romantic Heroines

Zoe Kazan, star of the upcoming movie The Big Sick, recently sat down for an interview with Vulture. Here's what she had to say:

On writing her new play After the Blast (about a near future in which humanity lives underground, having fled ecological catastrophe and nuclear disaster):
“I’ve struggled with depression most of my life, and I was coming off a pretty bad bout when the idea came to me. Though I didn’t realize that was what I was trying to write about. But after I wrote the play, I was like, Oh. Okay. Sometimes the real thing I’m trying to write about reveals itself very late, even to myself.”

On The Big Sick:
“I was not looking to do another romantic comedy, but then I read the script. There have been a handful of auditions in my life where I’ve walked out feeling like, I think they’d be stupid not to cast me. This was one of those.”

On her grandfather Elia Kazan:
“Maybe this is a way of gaslighting myself, but I think of it this way: In certain circles, my grandpa was considered to be one of the seminal directors of the 20th century. I’m never going to be that. So I might as well do whatever I want.”

On continuing to write, even as she's finding success as an actress:
“I wasn’t raised in a family that cared about how you look. The fact that I have made my living in acting, where that matters, that really feels antithetical to me as a person. When my first play was produced, I had this sudden feeling that I feel powerful. Like, the next time I go into an audition room and it’s me and the same eight girls as always, I will have this thing that no one can take away from me. They can see us all as interchangeable. But I am not interchangeable."

No comments:

Post a Comment