Thursday, February 9, 2017

Justin Timberlake Reflects on the Past

Justin Timberlake was recently profiled in The Hollywood Reporter. Here are some highlights from that interview:

On growing up famous:
"I was about 15 or 16 years old. We'd just given a concert in Germany at a festival on this huge field. And we were in the tour bus afterward, driving on a dirt road, and I looked out the window and saw all these young, impressionable females running after the bus. I think we can all agree that I did not have a normal childhood...I have some faint images from my childhood, but no, I can't really remember not being famous."

On how fatherhood has changed his perspective:
"You go through your life with your own traumas, big and small, and think, 'It's not that bad, I have a lot to be thankful for, my parents did the best they could.' But then you have a child of your own, and suddenly it opens all the floodgates, and you're like, 'No, no, no! That childhood trauma really did fuck me up!' "

On why he left NSYNC:
"We were on a stadium tour, and I just felt like the whole thing was too big. It started as a fun snowball fight that was becoming an avalanche. And, also, I was growing out of it. I felt like I cared more about the music than some of the other people in the group. And I felt like I had other music I wanted to make and that I needed to follow my heart."

On pursuing both acting and singing:
"I want to do both things. I really do idolize the golden era of Hollywood, when actors were required to sing and move. But I'm just following my gut in the decisions that I make about what I'm going to do next. I'm mostly just glad this is all working out because I really can't do anything else. I'm not gifted at anything else."

On trying to master the work-life balance:
"At first, it broke me down. Those first eight months [of fatherhood] felt like those old [Ed Sullivan] shows where people are balancing spinning plates on poles — except if you drop one, they die." 

No comments:

Post a Comment