Thursday, January 12, 2017

Lena Dunham Doesn't Care What You Think About Her

Lena Dunham recently sat down for an interview with Nylon Magazine; here's what she had to say:

On self-knowledge:

“I’m realizing more and more as I get older that I’m actually way less self-aware than I thought. Oh, I’ve been in therapy since I was seven. There’s nothing you could say about me that other people wouldn’t know.’ But the older I get, the more I’m like, ‘I don’t fucking know what anybody is seeing when they look at me,’ and the coolest thing is it’s not my problem. That’s an interesting thing. It kind of doesn’t matter. I used to think the worst thing in the world could be for someone to have a thought about you that you didn’t have yourself. Now I’m like, ‘Have at it, guys!’”

On what she would do differently with GIRLS if she had it to do all over again:
“I wouldn’t do another show that starred four white girls. That being said, when I wrote the pilot I was 23. Each character was an extension of me. I thought I was doing the right thing. I was not trying to write the experience of somebody I didn’t know, and not trying to stick a black girl in without understanding the nuance of what her experience of hipster Brooklyn was.”

On not listening to people:
“Sometimes being a creator, and especially being a female creator, is an exercise in shutting people’s voices out, because there are so many who think they understand better than you how to do your job.”

On what she'll do after GIRLS ends:
“I’m probably going to have a nervous crying breakdown. I had a psychotic moment where I was like, ‘I’m going to become a wildlife rehabilitator and a crystal expert.’ My boyfriend was like, ‘No, you’re not.’ I’m like, ‘I’m going to rehabilitate squirrels and owls. And I’m going to educate myself so that I can do crystal healings.’ He was like, ’Good luck with that.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment