Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Aaron Taylor-Johnson Talks Nocturnal Animals

Ahead of his Golden Globe win, Aaron Taylor-Johnson spoke to The Hollywood Reporter about his role in Tom Ford's Nocturnal Animals. Here's what he had to say:

What were your first thoughts about this script?
"I was very hesitant about this role. I'm a father to daughters, so I didn't relate to the character. I was shocked that Tom even thought of me for it. Later on in interviews he said there was some kind of charisma, some kind of edge that he saw in me. So when I first spoke with him, I asked, "What's your vision for this? How do you see this [scene] happening?" Tom is so eloquent about everything he wants and feels, it became instantly obvious that I wanted to be a part of this film, no matter how challenging it would be. I could put my trust in him and he'd guide me through. I'm not everybody's first choice for a role like this. But it was a nice way to show versatility and something different."

How did you prepare?
"My job was to manipulate and provoke Jake Gyllenhaal's character, to get a reaction out of him. In the three months prior to making the movie, I spent a lot of time researching psychopaths and serial killers and watching documentaries on Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer and Charles Manson. They all have something in common, and it's that they're very charismatic and charming and unpredictable. This guy was unpredictable."

What was your reaction to seeing the finished film with all the storylines blended in?
"I was blown away by Amy Adams. I didn't know about Laura Linney, who's in one of the best scenes in the movie. And I was shocked by some of the things that came out of my mouth. The three days we shot that night scene, where the two cars pull over, got so intense and heated. I think we were having out-of-body experiences, going off script, and it got psychologically draining. After making this movie, it was like we had a little PTSD. I definitely had to seek some therapy and time to calm down. It was pretty wild."

No comments:

Post a Comment