Thursday, September 1, 2016

Colton Haynes Received Human Rights Campaign Award

Months after coming out, Colton Haynes was awarded the Human Rights Campaign's Visibility Award. Here's what he had to say in his acceptance speech, as reprinted by E! News:

"I've experienced a lot of 'wow' moments in my life. But I think tonight, it's probably topping all of them. My coming out was a bit splashy for many people...That's just how entertainment works. It makes a bigger deal out of everyone's personal decisions. Tonight I can actually be myself for the first time, and it feels incredible. I feel lucky just knowing we have such a strong, fierce, united community that believes as I do that equality is our birthright. It's not a slogan.

I don't necessarily feel especially deserving of this recognition. We all know that there are many other ways, many other people who have come before me and blazed the trail as LGBT advocates and role models. And I'm walking in their shoes, and I'm following their lead. My promise is simple and real, and I'm not making it to you. I'm making it to the next generations of lesbians and gay men, bisexuals, and transgender youth, and I hope my example will give them the confidence and hope to be who they are as well. We have to listen to our own voices and our own hearts and that's when we become the best people."


No comments:

Post a Comment