Thursday, July 7, 2016

Mila Kunis Gives Zero Fucks, and It's Hella Refreshing

Mila Kunis is on the cover of this month's Glamour Magazine. Here's what she had to say:

GLAMOUR: In 2012 you told Glamour, “I’d rather be in love and have a baby than have a movie.” And here you are with all three. Was there a point where you really thought you would have to choose?

MILA KUNIS: I got—knock on wood—very lucky. But I did choose. I took a chunk of time off. If it were up to [Ashton], we would have had kids much sooner. But I had contracts for films I had to do. I was like, “Let me finish this last thing, Jupiter Ascending, and we’re a go. I’m going to take a solid break from acting.” And let me tell you, when I would get a call with an offer, I wouldn’t even flinch. I was like, “No, I’m pregnant.” “No, I have a baby.” I wasn’t ready to go back. I was so happy saying no that I knew it was the right decision.

GLAMOUR: Did you ever fear, “Oh, I’ve said no so many times, they’re not going to call me anymore”?

MK: I was OK with it. And I was like, “Whatever will happen will happen.” As an actor, you travel so much. It isn’t great for a marriage. In a marriage, you and your partner come first. And unless you and your partner are happy, that kid’s never going to be happy. I ultimately started my production company, so I have a 9-to-5. I can’t not work. I don’t know what it’s like to not work; my family embedded that in me.

GLAMOUR: Given your family history, did it strike a chord with you seeing presidential contenders like Donald Trump stoke anti-­Mexican-immigrant and anti-Muslim-immigrant fears?

MK: It’s even more than that. The whole Syrian-refugee thing—we came here on a religious-refugee visa, and I’m not going to blow this country up. I’m clearly paying taxes. I’m not taking anything away. So the fact that people look at what’s happening and are like, “Pfft, they’re going to blow sh-t up”? It saddens me how much fear we’ve instilled in ourselves. And going from there to the whole, “Hey, let’s build a wall between Los Angeles and Mexico”.… I don’t even have to answer that one. There’s no point. It’s a really great sound bite. And it got him far. Nobody should be mad at him; we did it to ourselves.

GLAMOUR: Along those lines of looking perfect: The photo of you that’s on the back cover of this magazine is very clean-faced—

MK: We had, like, no makeup.

GLAMOUR: How did it feel to be photographed that way?

MK: Fine! I don’t wear makeup. I don’t wash my hair every day. It’s not something that I associate with myself. I commend women who wake up 30, 40 minutes early to put on eyeliner. I think it’s ­beautiful. I’m just not that person. So to go to a shoot and have my makeup artist put on face cream and send me off to do a photo, I was like, “Well, this makes life easy.” And you’re still protected. Nobody’s there to make you look bad. Do you watch Game of Thrones?

GLAMOUR: Yes.

MK: Well, it’s not like I’m being scrutinized and made to walk down the street naked while shit’s being thrown at me!

GLAMOUR: You and Ashton met on That ’70s Show close to 20 years ago. What bedrock does it give the relationship to have gone through that together?

MK: We can’t bullshit each other. I literally can’t lie to him. He can call me out on everything, and I can do the same, because there’s nothing about the other person’s face that we don’t know. We know when they’re acting, thus we know when they’re lying. Sometimes he’ll look at me, be like, “Really?” And I’m like, “Fuck.” [Laughs.]

GLAMOUR: You know every gesture, every facial tic.

MK: Uh-huh. There’s nothing we don’t know about each other because we’ve known each other for so long: the ugly, the bad, the good. We went through a period where I thought he was crazy. At the height of his career, I was like, “Ugh, I don’t like you. I don’t even know you anymore. You think you’re such hot shit.”

GLAMOUR: You had breakups when you weren’t even together?

MK: Yeah, fully. Full friendship breakups. And then we’d get back together and be like, “Oh, sorry. I didn’t mean to overreact.” “That’s OK.” All the time. It truly is being married to your best friend. That’s a cliché; it’s cheesy. But it’s true.

Read the full interview at Glamour.

No comments:

Post a Comment