Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Ruby Rose Talks Sexuality

Ruby Rose recently sat down for an interview with Galore, where she talked about sexuality. The magazine quotes her as follows:


People love to say that you turn straight women gay. What’s your reaction when they say that? Is this something people said before you were famous, too?

"I’m one of those people who feels that everybody is somewhere on the spectrum. I don’t think it needs to be labeled—love is about the person.
When people say to me that I turned them gay, I just laugh, because that’s not really even a possibility. It sounds like I did something against their will in the middle of the night, as if I crept into their brain and pushed the gay button, then did an evil laugh and left them to fend for themselves—newly gay and alone in the world.
I break it down like this: Did I find Channing Tatum in Magic Mike to be extremely hot? Yes! Could I now turn straight for him without having previously ever had a desire to be with a man? The answer is, nope. Haha.
But people will say to J. Law, “I want to be your best friend,” or to T. Swift, “I want to be in your squad.” Everyone has got their little thing, and the catch phrase I got after Orange was, “She turned me gay.”

What makes me laugh is that I’m actually single and not looking at all. I’m just focused on my career. But it was very funny how many people would text photos, or slide right into my DMs for months after Orange launched. I would say, “That’s cute, but I’m pretty sure you’re straight.” And they’d say, “I am, but now I have a crush on you.” And I would respond, “I’m pretty sure I met your boyfriend at the premiere.” But then, if I actually reached out to them to get a coffee as a friend to hang, they wouldn’t ever make plans. I could literally feel them sort of wondering if “coffee” meant something different in the lesbian world. (For the record, it doesn’t, according to Ruby.)"

Because they’re scared?

"I mean, I don’t know. But I would be eating breakfast and my phone goes off, and I see a topless photo. And it would always be so out of the blue, and very confusing. But then I’d be in New York two months later, and I’d get a message from that same person saying, “God, I wish I could see you.” If I responded, “Oh really, I’m actually in NY this week too,” I would get radio silence. My friends and I would literally die over this—it’s just so funny. I mean, it is and it isn’t. People want to lead me on, or don’t realize they are doing it, but I can always eventually work out what is real and what is play.
I just think that, as human beings, we are drawn to what we can’t have. We are drawn to fantasy over reality, and often are in love with an idea of a situation rather than the reality of it. I think people like the idea of “turning gay for someone,” but it’s not actually that simple. Ultimately, that statement is just a form of endearment or a compliment, but it’s not real."


A photo posted by Galore (@galore) on

No comments:

Post a Comment