Friday, April 15, 2016

Julia Louis-Dreyfus Reflects on SNL

Julia Louis-Dreyfus is set to host Saturday Night Live this weekend. She recently sat down for a profile with the New York Times, where she opened up about working at SNL in the 80s. The publication quotes her as follows:


As we speak, you’re preparing to host “Saturday Night Live.” Do you look back fondly on your years there as a cast member?
"Fondly-ish."

Because women on the show in that era were not given equal treatment?
"At all. I did not come out of “S.N.L.” as any kind of name. I didn’t do anything particularly great when I was there. I didn’t. It’s fine. But I learned a tremendous amount. It was a very sexist environment. Since I’ve gone back, I can tell you it’s much more of an equal-opportunity environment."

What did you gain from your experience there?
"I was on it for three years, and when I left, I made this conscious decision that I would not take any jobs that didn’t seem as if they would be really fun. That’s very simplistic and Pollyannaish sounding, but really, I noted that. I’m not doing this unless I can have a deep sense of happiness while doing it. I’ve applied that, moving forward, and it’s worked. So in that sense, I have “S.N.L.” to thank."

Read her full profile at the New York Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment