Monday, August 17, 2015

Tatiana Maslany Talks Hollywood Beauty Standards

Orphan Black star Tatiana Maslany recently sat down for an interview with People, where she talked about Hollywood beauty standards. The magazine quotes her as follows:

"I don't think that any woman in this industry hasn't [experienced sexism] – I think we all have in various ways, and sometimes you can't even tell that it's happening because it's so ingrained in the way things are structured. Seventy or 80 percent of the people on set are male – directors, writers, producers, people in positions of power, but that's shifting too."

On experiencing sexism in Hollywood:
"Like being told, 'Let's not talk about that, sweetheart,' if I have an issue with being hit on by a 50-year-old when I was 17 and on set. It's never ending. Being put into this little outfit that showed my midriff in a scene where I'm supposed to be grieving the death of a family member, and it's like, 'Make sure that her belly button is showing' – it's just pathetic. It's so pathetic." 

On being asked to change her appearance by shaving her armpits:
"...And wax my mustache, which I refused to do! I'll do it if the part calls for it and it makes sense. Sometimes it's not worth being political about it. There's a point where I have to separate my own political values versus the character I'm playing. I can't imagine that it's going to stay stuck like this. I hope not! People are too upset, people are too pissed off and too many strong voices are now being heard. There is a big shift happening, and I think we are at the messy puberty stages of it right now, but I hope that at some point it becomes the default that every racial group has their own stories that are being told that aren't stereotypical. It's just about bringing that sensitivity, your emotional life and your understanding of humanity that women have that’s different to men." 

No comments:

Post a Comment