Friday, August 14, 2015

Paul Haggis on Crash's Best Picture Win

The Hollywood Reporter had a feature earlier this year in which they asked Academy voters who they would vote today in best-picture releases from history. When revisiting 2006, Brokeback Mountain was picked over actual winner Crash. Paul Haggis, the director of Crash, had the following to say to HitFix:

"Was it the best film of the year? I don't think so. There were great films that year. Good Night and Good Luck, amazing film. Capote, terrific film. Ang Lee's Brokeback Mountain, great film. And [Steven] Spielberg's Munich. I mean please, what a year. Crash for some reason affected people, it touched people. And you can't judge these films like that. I'm very glad to have those Oscars. They're lovely things. But you shouldn't ask me what the best film of the year was because I wouldn't be voting for Crash, only because I saw the artistry that was in the other films. I mean, I knew it was the social experiment that I wanted, so I think it's a really good social experiment. Is it a great film? I don't know."

Haggis went on to further clarify his remarks to Showbiz 411
“I am very proud of Crash, and am honored to have been chosen as one of the best films of that year – especially in a year where there were so many terrific and daring films that explored real and pressing issues. It is unfair and rather ridiculous to ask a director if his film is 'the best' - being a Canadian I am never going to be one who stands up and announces 'Yes, my film absolutely deserved to win over all those amazing films.' It’s not going to happen — and my answers have always been consistent."

No comments:

Post a Comment