Thursday, September 7, 2017

Carey Mulligan Talks Acting Regrets

Carey Mulligan recently sat down for an interview with Variety, where she talked about her role in The Great Gatsby. Here's what she had to say:

“I didn’t love my work in ‘Gatsby.’ I’m not sure if I slight kind of lost my way because I was intimidated by the scale of it. I think I might have been overawed by my experience and intimidated by the level of performances around me. It was how big it was and how visual it was. I definitely felt there were fleeting moments where I really found the character and then I felt like I lost her a little bit. I’ve never been wholly thrilled about my work in it.

It was almost like this ‘America’s Got Talent’ casting thing around the role. And then it was the expectation of playing the part. I love the character so much and I spent so much time preparing. It might not have translated onto the screen. I think I let my own security get in my own way. In that respect, I wish I could do it again. It was just a tricky one. Maybe I tried to put too many things in and they ended up blurring. And maybe I could have been more specific. I found the world so fascinating in Zelda and Ginevra King and everything around F.Scott Fitzgerald and their relationship.”

On not liking to watch herself onscreen:
“I’m terrible and sitting through. About a year [after Drive came out], I was on an airplane, and I was like, ‘Fuck it. I’m going to watch it because so many people really liked it.’cI got about 20 minutes in and the air hostess walk past me and I was on the screen, and I was like, ‘I can’t be the person watching my own film.’ So I turned it off and put on some other shit film.”

No comments:

Post a Comment