Friday, July 22, 2016

Zoe Saldana Reveals She Has Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Zoe Saldana recently sat down for an interview with Net-a-Porter's The Edit, where she reveals that she has been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Here's what she had to say:

On being diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis:
“Your body doesn’t have the energy it needs to filter toxins, causing it to believe that it has an infection, so it’s always inflamed. You create antibodies that attack your glands, so you have to eat clean. (She is now gluten and dairy-free). I had a great time in my twenties. Then your doctor says you’re losing calcium in your bones. What the fuck is that?! I would hear those conversations with my mom and grandma, thinking I’d never get there. I’m going to live forever! But all of a sudden it hits you. I shit you not, it’s from night to day.”

On being a Gemini:
“My family makes fun of me because there is more than one person in here, and they are like oil and vinegar. One is super-easy, chilled; the other one is so rigid that even the temperature of my water needs to be perfect.” 

On growing up in the Dominican Republic (her family moved there from New York when she was 10):
“I know what it’s like to grow up with fast food and MTV, then all of a sudden you’re in a place where the power goes out every three hours and you’re doing your homework by candlelight. We moved to a small community: one culture, one religious belief, one opinion about women. Latinos are traditionalists at heart, and super-machistas. Even though the women are the matriarchs, it’s still a man’s world.”

On getting equality for women in Hollywood:
“The high road is
no longer silent,” she instructs. “The high road is speaking up and saying, ‘You’re a dick! What you are doing is unfair. I’m not asking you to idolize me, I’m asking you to pay me equally, because you always come to me whenever you need me for a press tour!’ The responsibility can’t only fall on women in the public eye. The audience have the power. They are the ones buying the tickets to all these man-made movies. There are films being made by female directors, by female writers, with lead female roles, but women are not going to those movies. We’re going with our boyfriends to hold their fucking hands to go see a movie that we couldn’t care less about! As women in positions of power, we have to use it to help other women. I got used to being the only girl in the room. Look at The Losers, look at Star Trek... It’s lonely! I couldn’t care less about male-driven stories and war movies, not because I’m not an intellectual individual, but because I want to know what’s happening to a woman.”

On husband Marco Perego:
“We are never apart for more than a week. We don’t want distance to come between us because we are creatures of habit. Even when we fight, the goal is to never go to sleep angry. And to practice love; to work just as much at home as we do outside. Love is a lot of work. But it’s work that you should take pleasure in doing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment