Monday, July 18, 2016

Maria Bamford Opens Up About Bipolar Disorder

Comedian Maria Bamford, who has her own hit show on Netflix called Lady Dynamite, recently sat down for an interview with People, where she opened up about living with Bipolar Disorder. Here's what she had to say:

"I went through a nightmare, but it means a lot to me that other people with mental illness tell me the show has helped them and made them laugh. Getting that reaction makes me feel like I'm being useful in life, and that's good."

On checking herself into psych wards between 2010 and 2012:
"I don't know if it was a hormonal change or stress, but I'd never felt that bad before. I absolutely melted down. Every single moment was unbearable. I didn't feel safe by myself. I'd spend six weeks in an outpatient treatment program, get out, still feel awful and fall on my face again." 

On being diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2011:
"I was anxious I'd never work again. But eventually I got to a point where I didn't care. I didn't feel immediately better, and the side effects from this medication are hair loss, weight gain and tremors, but it's been manageable." 

On meeting her husband Scott Marvel Cassidy on OkCupid in 2013:
"He was so accepting of my mental health history. Being in a psych ward made me realize that you can't wait to be a perfect person to commit to a relationship." 

On the side effects of her meds:
"I sleep about 12 hours a night, and I don't really travel anymore, [but] I'm happier than I've ever been. This is how people should feel." 


No comments:

Post a Comment