Monday, August 31, 2015

Kathy Bates Opens Up About Lymphedema

Kathy Bates recently sat down for an interview with People, where she talked about her Lymphedema diagnosis. Lymphedema is a buildup of fluid in the soft tissues, which causes arms and legs to swell. The magazine quotes her as follows:

"I have a very mild case, but I have to wear compression garments from time to time, and it really does affect quality of life. I think sometimes you get depressed and think, 'Why do I have to deal with this every day?' I get angry about it and I get worn out with it and I get frustrated." 

On her work as an ambassador for the Lymphatic Education & Research Network:
"Now when I attend social events wearing my [compression] sleeves, I feel less self-conscious. I want people to ask me about it. Maybe if people can put my face on lymphedema, then more people will be willing to come out of the shadows and talk about it." 

No comments:

Post a Comment