Thursday, April 16, 2015

David Chase Talks Sopranos Final Scene (Spoiler Alert)

David Chase recently sat down for an interview with DGA Quarterly, where he opened up about the infamous final scene in the Sopranos finale. The publication quotes him as follows:

"The last shot of Tony ends on 'don't stop,' it's mid-song. I'm not going to go into [if it's Tony's POV]. I thought the possibility would go through a lot of people's minds, or maybe everybody's mind, that he was killed. He might have gotten shot three years ago in that situation. But he didn't. Whether this is the end here or not, it's going to come at some point for the rest of us. Hopefully, we're not going to get shot by some rival gang mob or anything like that. I'm not saying that [happened]. But he obviously stood more of a chance of getting shot by a rival gang mob than you or I do because he put himself in that situation. All I know is the end is coming for all of us.

I thought the ending would be somewhat jarring, sure. But not to the extent it was, and not a subject of such discussion. I really had no idea about that. I never considered the black a shot. I just thought that what we see is black. The ceiling I was going for at that point - the biggest feeling I was going for, honestly -- was don't stop believing. It was very simple and much more on the nose than people think. That's what I wanted people to believe. That life ends and death comes, but don't stop believing. There are attachments we make in life -- even thought it's all going to come to an end -- that are worth so much, and we're so lucky to have been able to experience them. Life is short. Either it ends here for Tony or some other time. But in spite of that, it's really worth it. So don't stop believing."

Read the full interview at DGA Quarterly.

No comments:

Post a Comment