Saturday, March 28, 2015

Amanda Knox Verdict Finally Decided

If you haven't been following the Amanda Knox trial, she and boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito were convicted of murdering Knox's roommate Meredith Kercher in Italy in 2009 and sentenced to lengthy stays in jail. In 2011, an Italian appeals court overturned their convictions citing lack of evidence, and Knox and Sollecito were set free. In 2013, the case was retried in Italy and their earlier acquittals were overturned, and they each once again received lengthy jail sentences which were never served, because the case was immediately appealed.

The saga has finally come to an end. CNN reports that on Friday, the Italian High Court threw out their convictions once and for all. There will be no further trials on the matter; Knox and Sollecito have finally and permanently been found not guilty. Amanda Knox released the following statement:

"The knowledge of my innocence has given me strength in the darkest times of this ordeal. And throughout this ordeal, I have received invaluable support from family, friends and strangers. To them, I say: Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Your kindness has sustained me. I only wish that I could thank each and every one of you in person."

No comments:

Post a Comment