Monday, December 4, 2017

Sarah Silverman Talks Television Changes

Sarah Silverman recently sat down for an interview with Net-a-Porter's The Edit. Here are some highlights from her interview:

WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE TV SHOW GROWING UP?
"Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood. He taught me that if it’s mentionable, it’s manageable."

WHAT DO YOU WATCH NOW?
"If there aren’t good female characters, I get bored. It’s not a political thing; it just loses me. I could see why it might be the other way around for men. Right now I’m watching MindHunter on Netflix – it’s about serial killers."

HOW IS TV CHANGING?

"The fact that women are helming and writing. And shows like Atlanta and Insecure are so brilliant and so not written by white people for black people – it’s a big difference."

CAN YOU DESCRIBE I LOVE
YOU, AMERICA? 
"Anything smart served in a big sandwich of aggressively dumb and silly. It’s definitely putting myself out there, but it’s exactly what I wanted to make."

ARE ROLES FOR WOMEN MORE INTERESTING NOW?

"I learned early on that the options for me were the sassy friend or the cunty girlfriend before the guy realizes what love can really be. I even had a director tell me, ‘You’re never going to be the character that deserves love.’ It’s antisemitism, and it’s half the time by Jews – they don’t want to see themselves, especially the women, reflected in the things they make."

Read the full interview at Net-a-Porter.

No comments:

Post a Comment