Friday, December 8, 2017

Oprah Interviews Jennifer Lawrence

Oprah recently interviewed Jennifer Lawrence for The Hollywood Reporter's Power 100 issue. Here are some highlights from their conversation:

OPRAH WINFREY I read this wonderful book by Elizabeth Strout [Anything Is Possible]. And in it, she was speaking about one of the characters who was so embittered and regretful, and the line she used was, "because her life did not turn out the way she had expected." Is your life what you expected?


JENNIFER LAWRENCE When I started acting, I was totally satisfied when I was on a sitcom because I had a steady paycheck. And I was like, "Maybe I can just find a way to be on sitcoms forever." I was totally satisfied and good. I never dreamed that I could have this kind of career.

When you dreamed the dream, what did the dream look like? I used to drive home from church with my father past rich white people's houses — we'd be the last to leave our little church yard, and he'd be in this big, old, green Oldsmobile that I was embarrassed to be in — and I'd pick houses that I dreamed about living in, and that was a big dream for me: I'd have a house, I'd be able to pay my bills, I'd have two cars in the driveway.


I used to do that, too. I remember driving by big, beautiful houses, but I always dreamed of being there with my parents. I never imagined I'd be able to own something like that on my own. I thought for a while maybe I could be an interior designer — that was the only job I knew about because my mom was friends with an interior designer. I was mostly just focused on a family when I was little. I would have never thought I'd be so career-focused. It's not something I knew about myself until I started becoming successful, and then I wanted to become more successful. I'd make a great movie, and then I'd want to make more great movies; I'd make money, I'd want to make more money. It was a mind-set I wasn't ever aware I had until my early 20s.

How do you choose what you're going to do next?

It's chemistry. It's like meeting a boyfriend. Red Sparrow [March]was sexual, and I haven't done anything sexy or sexual. I've been afraid of that since 2014, when I got my pictures hacked. I just thought, "I'll never do that again. I'll never share that part of myself ever since it got shared against my will." And then when I said yes to Red Sparrow, I felt I was taking something back.

When your pictures got exploited that way, did it feel like you'd been robbed? Like you came home and your whole house had been invaded?


I would much prefer my whole house to have been invaded. That's what's so scary about electronic [things]. I have such fear with my phone and my computer and electronics. It's taking somebody's intellectual property but also my body. It was violating on a sexual level.

What's the best advice you've been given?


It was probably by you. You just said it under your breath. You were talking, and then under your breath you said, "You have to teach somebody how to treat you." That's the smartest thing I've ever heard.

Read the full interview at The Hollywood Reporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment