Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Survivor Stories

Anna Faris recently opened up on her podcast Unqualified about being sexually harassed on set by a director. Here's what she had to say, as reprinted by Us Weekly:

“I was doing a scene where I was on a ladder and I was supposed to be taking books off a shelf and he slapped my ass in front of the crew so hard. And all I could do was giggle. I remember looking around and I remember seeing the crewmembers being like, ‘Wait, what are you going to do about that? That seemed weird.’ And that’s how I dismissed it. I was like, ‘Well, this isn’t a thing. Like, it’s not that big of a deal. Buck up, Faris. Like, just giggle.’ But it made me feel small. He wouldn’t have done that to the lead male.

I remember that same director telling my agent, who told me, that I had great legs and that was one of the reasons that I got hired. And listen, that’s a fucking great compliment. I like my legs. But that sort of informed my whole experience with that whole project. I don’t think the male lead got hired because he had great legs...We’re conditioned to giggle. But also, if we were to do anything else, we’d be labeled a bitch or difficult. It puts everyone at ease. That’s the defense mode you go into."

Scandal star Tony Goldwyn recently opened up about being sexually harassed, as reprinted by Variety:
“It happened to me when I was literally Lupita’s age in my last year of acting school. It happened to me by a man, and it wasn’t as extended and awful as what Lupita went through, but it was the same thing. It was the casting couch and I didn’t understand what was going on, what was happening — I thought it was my fault. I thought I was misunderstanding the situation … It took me a couple of years to get over it.”

In related news, The Guardian reports that photographer Terry Richardson has been blacklisted by Vogue and the rest of Conde Nast and by a few designers after two decades of allegations of inappropriate sexual behavior at photoshoots.

No comments:

Post a Comment