Monday, October 23, 2017

Survivor Stories

Corey Feldman took to his Twitter last week to implore his peers to step forward. Here's what he had to say, as reprinted by People:

“For the record, I will not be going on a talk show to disclose names of my abusers or anyone else’s abusers. So please stop asking me to do so. The practice of sensationalizing this topic with no plan of action or protection for my family would prove fruitless. I have been through enough!

This is not about fear of being sued! Yes, that’s a real possibility. But the bigger reason is safety for my family. [I’m] already over this. My career was shut down, I have been mocked and shamed for doing what I have done to this point! I would love to see others come forward as there are many other witnesses to the crimes I have addressed. Still not one of my peers has offered up anything in a decade!

That said I am working on a plan that may be a way forward to shed some light on this situation! If I can figure out a way to get actual justice while not risking my safety and well being, you will know when that time comes. As for now, I’m glad people are talking and I pray that others come forward! Nobody should live their lives in fear except those who committed these heinous crimes in the first place!” 

The LA Times reports that 38 women have stepped forward to reveal that they have been sexually harassed by director James Toback of the films Black and White, and Two Girls and a Guy: "During these meetings, many of the women said, Toback boasted of sexual conquests with the famous and then asked humiliating personal questions. How often do you masturbate? How much pubic hair do you have? He’d tell them, they said, that he couldn’t properly function unless he “jerked off” several times a day. And then he’d dry-hump them or masturbate in front of them, ejaculating into his pants or onto their bodies and then walk away. Meeting over."

And now a different type of survivor. Rebecca Black recent wrote an essay for NBC News about surviving the massive amount of Internet bullying that came her way at the age of 13. Read her essay here.

No comments:

Post a Comment