Friday, June 16, 2017

Zoe Kravitz on Acting

Zoe Kravitz recently sat down for an interview with Net-a-Porter's The Edit. Here are some highlights:

On the suggestion by the interviewer that she's "having a moment":
“I’m working my way up, for sure. I’m still waiting for those roles of my life, but I have work to do as an actor. It will happen at the right moment; I’m taking my time.”

On her new short blonde hair:
“People aren’t quite used to it yet, so I have a little more anonymity.”

On Big Little Lies:
“I saw Reese the other night for dinner, and we were like, can you believe it? We all felt we were working on something amazing, but you never really know…”

On her new movie Rough Night:
“I think it’s good to see women behaving like that. We don’t just sit at home doing our makeup and waiting for the boys to come home – we go hard ourselves sometimes. It was fun to play a conservative rich bitch, with a bob and nice clothes and heels. She is so unlike me, and so unlike what I am often cast as.”

On discrimination and diversity (she has been turned down for a role in the past because the casting directors told her they weren't "going urban"):
“I’m sure it would still happen now. When my name is brought up in a casting office, I’m sure the fact that I’m black comes up in discussions. I just read a script in which there were two couples, and one was written as black. When I talked to the directors, they said I should play the wife of the black guy. It’s insane that they still think the black girl needs to be married to the black guy, and everyone else is white. Their thinking is so compartmentalized.”

On moving to Miami to live with her dad when she was 11 (after having lived in LA with her mother):
“Oh, totally. It was a mess. And I really didn’t fit in there. There were all these hot blond girls with boobs, Louis Vuitton purses and cell phones, and I was this mixed-race girl with crazy kinky hair that didn’t know how to relate.”

On her famous parents:
“When your dad and your mom are both so cool, but you’re not.. I think maybe that’s where I get this idea that I’m really not cool – that has stuck with me forever.”

On Nicole Kidman revealing that she was once engaged to Lenny Kravitz in her recent interview with The Edit:
“I think she forgot that no one knew that. I hadn’t seen her in a long time before Big Little Lies, but there was a point where we were all kind of living together. I was about 13, and she would take me to see movies; she was so nice to me.” 

Read the full interview at Net-a-Porter.

A post shared by Zoƫ Kravitz (@zoeisabellakravitz) on

No comments:

Post a Comment