Monday, June 12, 2017

Rashida Jones Addresses Need for More Female Power Players in Hollywood

Rashida Jones recently spoke to People magazine about the importance of female power players in Hollywood. Here's what she had to say:

“I think the reason there’s any sort of discrimination is because there is a lack of representation. It’s important, because the more ways that you can represent women, the more likely it is that stereotypes can’t stick. We’re half the fucking population! Let’s make things that women want to see that make them feel strong and characters they can relate to. 

[The key is] advocating for each other. Because the moment a woman speaks up, other women feel comfortable speaking up themselves or taking shots they wouldn’t otherwise.”

On directing a music video for friend, singer Sara Bareilles:
“[She] asked me to direct her video, and I said, ‘I’ve never directed before.’ She said, ‘Who cares? Just do it, and then you’ve done it.’ I was scared to do it, because I didn’t want to fail. Which I think is also a huge part of being a woman because when we fail, it’s tied to our gender, and when a guy fails, it has nothing to do with him being a man!”

No comments:

Post a Comment