Monday, May 22, 2017

Michael Stipe Talks Bowie and Beard Maintenance

Michael Stipe recently filmed a segment for BBC's The First Time With... where he talked about meeting David Bowie for the first time. Here's what he had to say:

On REM being invited to dine at Claude Nobs house, where David Bowie was expected to make an appearance, while REM was in the middle of a nonstop tour and were exhausted:
“I said, ‘I need to take a nap.' It took three espressos for me to walk down the stairs and look David Bowie in the eye and say, ‘How do you do? It’s nice to meet you finally.' [Bowie was] so engaged, so funny, so smart. He did not stop talking for three hours.”

And on beard maintenance:
“I wash it with shampoo, and I’ve tried conditioner, but it doesn’t condition very well. I’m kind of going for — rather than skid row Santa, I’m kind of going for a Poseidon-slash-Zeus-slash-Brancusi, uh, Matisse kind of appeal. And so I keep it a little trimmed on the sides to show off my beautiful cheekbones. And that’s about it, really. I put some oil on it from time to time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment