Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Drew Barrymore Gives You Confidence

Drew Barrymore recently sat down for an interview with Glamour UK, where she shared her tips on how to be confident. Here are some highlights from her list:

Create your own mantras and signposts
“I’m definitely a big proponent of marching in the army of optimism. That’s a thing I’ve come up with that details succinctly what my mission is in life. I have little pictures – mini mood boards – of moments and times framed all over my home: a childhood drawing, my kids’ art or pages from 100 Love Notes. It has great little sayings in it that are poetic and beautiful, and amazing quotes. You can create signposts of why life can be great and beautiful, and you need it because you’re going to get distracted from it in your day.”

Don’t fight who you are
“I have two daughters [Olive, 4, and Frankie, 2] who love to get dressed with me and I’m very conscious of how I react to myself in the mirror. I never scrutinise myself in front of them. I’ve always been on a mission to embrace what I was born with and it’s been a great buffer against certain pitfalls that we can fall into. We can get down when we think we’re 
not a certain thing, but it’s like, ‘F**k that. Be you. What’s your best you?’ Do whatever you need to feel good in your own skin and the way you look, your body, your shape, your size. Work it. You’re all you have.”

Your soulmate might not be who you think it is
“Nancy Juvonen is my best friend, producing partner of 25 years and my true partner in life. She’s always been so wise about relationships and I’ve learnt so many incredibly powerful lessons from her about self-respect, knowing what’s right and what’s wrong, and what’s good and bad behaviour, and what’s acceptable behaviour. Surround yourself with women like Nancy.”

Happily ever after isn’t one-size-fits-all
“Although my own fairytales didn’t necessarily work out [Drew split from husband Will Kopelman in 2016], I’m like, ‘Goddammit, don’t take my divorce as any measure of how much I’ve learnt about women and men and relationships.’ I feel so equipped to always help my friends or for what I will encounter in the future, as I’ve learnt so many amazing lessons. I feel like I’m a great person to speak to about relationships, because I’ve learnt from really amazing people who tell you the truth and are incredibly smart and also loving.”

Find your happy place
“Mine is always comedy. Yesterday I was having a crap day, I don’t know why, I was just blue, and I remembered that Amy Schumer was posting her Leather Special on Netflix. 

I never watch television during the day, but I said, ‘Let’s all have lunch in front of the TV and watch Amy Schumer.’ Within seconds, I was laughing my ass off. And then last night I binged on John Oliver. I am obsessed with him; he’s so brilliant. I will always gravitate towards comedians and comedy because they are like medicine men.”

Read the full list at Glamour UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment