Wednesday, May 10, 2017

LeAnn Rimes Talks Stepmom's Day

LeAnn Rimes recently sat down for an interview with Refinery29, where she talked about her new blog, and life as a stepmom. Here are some highlights from the interview:

How do you and your family celebrate Mother's Day?
"It changed a little bit every year since I've been married. The kids spend Mother's Day with their mom, so Eddie takes me out. He tries to make the day special for me, which is very sweet. Then we go and spend the day with our moms and my stepdad and his dad, and it becomes a family-oriented day of celebrating our parents, as we're both only children.

"I learned about Stepmom's Day a few years ago, which is the Sunday after Mother's Day. We celebrate with the kids as we have the last couple of years. We go to dinner and do the whole thing. I love the fact that there is a stepmom's day and an option [for stepparents to celebrate]. It's so different for each family. I love that we have a separate day and I think it's important that people know about it.


"I've been posting about it for the last couple of years on Instagram and Twitter and not many stepmoms know about it. For me, we have the kids half the time, so I feel like I am mothering, which is crazy as someone who has never had [biological] children before. I think it's great."

Are there any unique challenges to being a stepmom?
"I think parenting is challenging, period. I didn't really have a childhood, so for me it's interesting to be around kids that get to be kids. They were two and six when I was first around them, and now they are 10 and 13. To be around them, and to watch them have a childhood, it's been amazing to see. I greatly appreciate the fact that they have that piece of their lives, and we try to keep that part of their lives alive as much as possible.


"When I was first around the kids, I didn't know what was expected of me. Little things that were so childlike about them that I didn't have about me. It's been a really big learning experience for me. It's pushed my buttons, which has always made me look and see where I need more healing on myself. It's been really rewarding to see them grow up, and know that I have a part in that. That responsibility, to help raise kids, it's something that hits you really hard. It was something I was up for the challenge of. They bring so much joy to my life, and it's a new experience every day."

Were there any existing blogs that inspired you to start your own?
"GOOP [Gwyneth Paltrow's blog] has always been my favorite, [as has] MindBodyGreen. I've had this [desire to start a blog] for a really long time, but fear was always getting in the way. I hope to aspire to [those blogs] one day... MindBodyGreen is something I go on at 3 a.m."

What is your idea of a perfect day with your family?

"Just being at home. It's wonderful in the summer. We have a pool in the back and the kids love the pool. Just being able to be at home with nothing on the agenda except probably cooking and grilling out in the evening. Just being at home with the dogs and the kids and Eddie... Having my feet in the grass and watching them play. That's my perfect day because I don't get to do it often enough."

Read the full interview at Refinery29.

No comments:

Post a Comment