Friday, May 12, 2017

Chloe Sevigny Talks Vintage Shopping

It seems that Chloƫ Sevigny was in a good mood the day she sat down with Elle Magazine for an interview. Here are some highlights:

How important is it to you to shop vintage over brand new items?
"It's really important and less important. It's just my thing that I've always done. It's like a way of life for me. I grew up thrifting with my mom and it was a thing we would do together. Instead of sending me to the playground she would bring me to the Yellow Balloon thrift store in Darien, Connecticut where I grew up. It's just something that was ingrained in me and still, that's mostly all I buy. I can rarely think of instances [where] I buy brand new clothing."

Do you have vintage white whales that you've always tried to find?
"I did and then Mark [Haddawy from Resurrection Vintage] found it for me. It's this Gaultier sailor jacket with corseting in the back. I wanted it in black but he found it for me in navy. I had been scouring all over the world looking for it."

You're often seen as this pinnacle of '90s culture, particularly New York subculture. What do you think has changed about being "cool" since then? What's cool now verses what was cool then?
"I think it is harder to ascertain; I don't know if anything is as cool anymore. Everything is like a white wash, everything feels the same. [It's] harder to determine authenticity for me. Especially with the young kids walking around—you can't tell what they're really into or what they're posing that they're into. When I was growing up, if you're wearing a certain thing you were really standing for something and it was easier to identify what people were standing for or were into music-wise or scene-wise. How you dressed was more an indication of that and your attitude towards it. Now it's very hard to tell. It feels like everyone is just posturing.


Like I saw a girl the other day, and thought to my self she's like a real weirdo. Suburban, alternative kid, she had like blue hair. I was like, oh my God that's so refreshing to see some kid that is actually like a true weirdo. The next day I saw her again and she had a modeling book with her. Not that that diminishes her being authentic at all, but I was kind of sad. Not that I didn't do that as a kid, I didn't have a modeling agency, I [modeled] randomly and mostly for Sassy Magazine but it's a different day and age. I feel like people are more commoditized because its easier it's just a barrage of information and images everywhere."

Why do you think people are so attracted to the way you dress?
"God, I don't know but it's really annoying though [laughs]. No, it's not. Fashion is a big part of me and it's allowed me a lot of freedom in my life, especially with my first love which is film. I think people in the know, know that I don't work with a stylist for the authenticity. And lots of friends and lots of people in the industry [...] see my down time and how I really dress, and they feel a comfort there. And I don't know the magazines just latched onto me at a young age I think and I've kind of been something people didn't let go of."

Do you think It-Girls are different than when you were one back in the '90s?
"I hope I was different than [other It-Girls]. I think people always going to latch onto a young person and project onto them and exploit them. That's just a continuous thing that has happened since the '20s with Clara Bow."

Read the full interview at Elle.

No comments:

Post a Comment