Friday, January 6, 2017

Prince Harry Goes to Africa

Prince Harry appears in February's Town & Country Magazine, where he talks about Africa and participating in an effort to save elephants. Here are some of the highlights:

"I completely fell in love with (conservation organization) African Parks, because they get things done. They make tough decisions, and they stick to principles. I don't go on safari. I come [to Africa] so I can surround myself with people [working in conservation] and support them...I love spending time with these guys. Night after night, chewing the fat around the fire, about the pros and cons of the legalization of rhino horn, or the historic migratory paths of elephants, or the population explosion on the African continent. And also conservation back home, which is hugely important."

On whether or not he's afraid around the elephants in the wild:
"I've done this a few times before. Also, I'm fatalistic. If something is going to happen to you, it will happen. And I have such a respect for wild animals that it's a privilege to be around them. Plus, the army taught me teamwork...People don't realize how amazing elephants are."

On what drew him to Africa:
"I first came in 1997, straight after my mum died. My dad told my brother and me to pack our bags—we were going to Africa to get away from it all. My brother and I were brought up outdoors. We appreciate the countryside; we appreciate nature and everything about it. But it became more…This is where I feel more like myself than anywhere else in the world. I wish I could spend more time in Africa. I have this intense sense of complete relaxation and normality here. To not get recognized, to lose myself in the bush with what I would call the most down-to-earth people on the planet, people [dedicated to conservation] with no ulterior motives, no agendas, who would sacrifice everything for the betterment of nature… I talk to them about their jobs, about what they do. And I learn so much...I go home and bang the drum. So that we can all try to make a difference."

On preservation:
"These are very special places, but they are islands with a sea of people around them. I do worry. I think everyone should worry. We need to look after them, because otherwise our children will not have a chance to see what we have seen. This is God's test: If we can't save some animals in a wilderness area, what else can't we do?"


No comments:

Post a Comment