Monday, December 19, 2016

The Hollywood Reporter Epic Conversation Roundtable Interview

The Hollywood Reporter recently gathered Lin-Manuel Miranda, Donald Glover, Issa Rae, and Damien Chazelle for an interview conducted by Jon Favreau. Here are some of the highlights:

FAVREAU: "That's a common theme here, that we're all a little bit nerdy or geeky."

GLOVER: "Nerdy is just liking stuff that takes work to like."

FAVREAU: "To me, nerdy is a sense of your identity, of something you're going to put out there. You're fair game. That's a common thread, from what I know about all your stories and the work that I've seen. That's part of the bravery that comes with doing improv. If you're trying to look cool doing that type of comedy —"

MIRANDA: "Then you're dead."

FAVREAU: "You're dead."


DAMIEN CHAZELLE: "There's nothing I'm more in awe of than improv. I've found ways to remove myself from being too exposed as an artist. I used to play drums, but the performance stuff just gave me too much stage fright. Even when I was hidden behind a kit, I couldn't deal with that. So then I'd hide behind the camera, the computer, the typewriter, whatever."

FAVREAU: "Right."

CHAZELLE: "On the next level are performers who literally are performing without a net, like improv."

FAVREAU: "And jazz, which is a through line in both of [Chazelle's] films."


GLOVER: "It's a muscle that people don't have to use as much. Editing is a skill people use a lot, even in everyday life."

ISSA RAE: "It's also very generous, too. The art of improv is to help someone else and to deliver for them. It's like an alley-oop, in a sense. I really love that element because you have to help the other person be better."

FAVREAU: "For me, what brought me into writing was improvisation. And when you write well, you're kind of improvising alone."


RAE: "Yeah, completely."

Read the full interview at The Hollywood Reporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment