Sunday, December 18, 2016

Sporty Spice Talks Eating Disorder

Mel C, aka Sporty Spice, recently sat down for an interview with BBC Good Food where she talked about how the Spice Girls impacted her body image. Here's what she had to say:

"I joined the Spice Girls when I was 20 and it was an insane time. I developed an eating disorder; I was in the spotlight, being photographed constantly, and I started to become selfconscious of my body image. I was in denial for a long time but I always wanted to get better – I had talking therapies and holistic therapies, like acupuncture. Sport became really important to me too.

I love to be physically fit and, obviously, to really push yourself, you have to make sure you eat the right things. I like to think I have a healthy relationship with food now, and I love to cook. We’re so much more aware of nutrition nowadays. When I was a teenager, I didn’t know the difference between a protein and a carb. We need to get back to realising that we are what we eat."

On her favorite recipe:
"This raw lemon cheesecake is a winner and kids lap it up. It's a dairy free and gluten free with just a little agave syrup to sweeten it. My daughter Scarlett is seven and a half, and sometimes she'll want to get involved with the cooking: other times there are more interesting things to do. As a parent, it's important to give your children life skills, so when they do go off, they can at least boil an egg!"

No comments:

Post a Comment