Thursday, August 18, 2016

The New York Times Profiles Kristen Stewart

Kristen Stewart was recently profiled in the New York Times' T Magazine. Here are some of the highlights from her interview:

On her relationship with fame, after overcoming "debilitating physical anxiety" in her early 20s:
“[The attention] is no longer negative or fear-based. I do think that’s because of the storms I have weathered. It’s not that they make you stronger or calloused — but they do make you a human. I’m not the typical showman. But at the same time, I want so badly to expose myself. I want to be understood and I want to be seen, and I want to do that in the rawest, purest, most naked way I can.”

On Robert Pattinson:
“People wanted me and Rob to be together so badly that our relationship was made into a product. It wasn’t real life anymore. And that was gross to me. It’s not that I want to hide who I am or hide anything I’m doing in my life. It’s that I don’t want to become a part of a story for entertainment value.”

On girlfriend Alicia Cargile:
“Look how cute she is. I love her so much. I would never talk about any of my relationships before, but once I started dating girls it seemed like there was an opportunity to represent something really positive. I still want to protect my personal life, but I don’t want to seem like I’m protecting the idea, so that does sort of feel like I owe something to people.”

On navigating how much of her life to keep private:
“How do you feel like you’re not being stolen from, yet at the same time not guard yourself to the point of depriving yourself of so much goodness in life?"

On insomnia:
"Nothing killed me. I was skinny as hell, I looked crazy, but I was fine. I now have faith in my body to carry on, and that has made me a better actor.”

On her grueling work schedule during the filming of Personal Shopper:
“As a younger person, I would have lost steam: ‘I’m tired. I don’t feel good. I’m sick.’ Instead I tried to make myself more sick, more tired, just to see if there ever was a breaking point, and there wasn’t.”

On painting:
“Yeah, I mean, I’m not, like, good. It just feels nice to apply paint to something.”

On making a short film inspired by one of her poems:
“It’s basically about that moment when you wake up and you get dressed and you realize. I’m not sad anymore. I’m not saturated anymore. I’ve been dropped back into everyone else’s reality and now I can live again.”


No comments:

Post a Comment