Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Geena Davis Talks About Hollywood's Gender Inequality

Geena Davis recently sat down for an interview with The Guardian, where she talked about gender inequality in Hollywood. The publication quotes her as follows:

"After Thelma & Louise, which was pretty noticed and potent and significant, [people said] 'This changes everything! There’s going to be so many female buddy movies!' and nothing changed. And then the next movie I did was A League of Their Own, which was a huge hit and all the talk was, 'Well now, beyond a doubt, women’s sports movies, we’re going to see a wave of them because this was so successful.' That’s balls. It took 10 years until Bend It Like Beckham came out. So, there was no trend whatsoever. 


And then in my 40s I made one movie. And I was positive it wasn’t going to happen to me because I got a lot of great parts for women. I was very fortunate to have all that stuff happen and never get typecast, so I was just cruising along thinking: 'Well yeah, it won’t happen to me.' It did. My two-pronged solution to the entire problem is just before you cast a film or a TV show, go through the characters and change a bunch of first names to female — hooray! Now you’ve got a gender-balanced cast, you’ve got female characters who are un-stereotyped because they were written actually for a man and then, wherever it says, 'a crowd gathers,' put 'which is half female.' "

No comments:

Post a Comment