Friday, July 28, 2017

Ray Romano is Done with Sitcoms

Ray Romano recently spoke at the Television Critics Association's summer press tour about his future in sitcoms. Here's what he had to say, as reprinted by Page Six:

“Well after ‘Raymond,’ I didn’t want to do a sitcom again. I always wanted to keep comedy in my work, but yes, I was more attracted to maybe…maybe something dramatic. But it was small. It was little baby steps. Because it’s very hard to get people to forget that character they’ve seen for nine years.

On whether or not he is surprised at his body of work, which includes stints on Parenthood and HBO's Vinyl:
“I guess the answer is yes, because I’m surprised I can do anything. When I did ‘Vinyl’ last year, or two years ago, I was delving into something very dark, and I had no idea whether I could pull it off or whether I did pull it off. So, yeah, every time I do something that people consider good or successful, it is a surprise to me. But, you know, it’s fun. It’s fun to try it. I still feel like I’m learning and growing in this non-comedic area ...I’m very insecure about all of this, and it’s a learning process. And with each job I get, with each role I take, I kind of discover that I can do something, you know, a little more, a little more dramatic.”

No comments:

Post a Comment