Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Diane Lane Talks Turning 50

Diane Lane recently sat down for an interview with MORE magazine, where she talked about turning 50. The magazine quotes her as follows:

"I rehearsed 50. I kind of stared at it a long time. I wasn't going to let it terrify me...My relationship with aging is cozy. I'm not trying to play 29 and holding on with white knuckles, you know? I'm done saying, 'I'm sorry I wasn't who you needed or wanted me to be' to everybody in my life." 

On insecurity:
"Imagine if somebody said your nose is too big or your ears stick out. For me, it was [being told] my neck was too short [when I was 12]. It stuck with me all my life...Remember those ‘Don’t hate me because I’m beautiful’ ads? We grew up with that shit. It was the start of that psychoanalytical thing in our culture where we market to women by making women compete with each other. I found it very discordant. So you’re not allowed to say ‘I’m pretty,’ because you might get eaten alive by the rest of the tribe, you know? And the fact is that most—I mean, I don’t even know if we could run down the list of all the industries that exist because of the propagation of female insecurity.”


No comments:

Post a Comment