Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Lupita Nyong'o Covers Vogue

Lupita Nyong'o is on the cover of January's Vogue. Here's what she had to say in her accompanying interview:

On Game of Thrones:
“I’m not caught up, though, so I can’t talk about it. I’m in the dark and blissfully so. I like to spread it out so that it can live with me for longer.”

On her new film, Black Panther:
“For me, as an African who lives outside Africa and wrestles with that dichotomy of tradition and modernity, this is almost healing...The little Kenyan child in me leaped for joy because it’s such an affirmation. What colonialism does is cause an identity crisis about one’s own culture.”

On doing a six-week bootcamp with her castmates to prep for the movie:
“Chadwick had a live drummer come in as we worked out, and it was so cool—it changes your sense of internal rhythm. My character fights with anything: guns, spears, ring blades, shoes, glass.”

When asked if she is worried about being pigeonholed as an "actress of color"
“I got such a head start in this industry that it is not in my best interest to look for struggle. That’s such a powerless place for me to think about: what is working against me. I don’t think of what I don’t have; I think of what I do, and use that to get the next thing. [My creativity is] a finite reservoir, so it’s important that I safeguard it with my life.”

Read the full interview at Vogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment