Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Kardashian Korner

Kanye has officially gone kray kray, and it's nothing to laugh at. TMZ reports that after days of bizarre behavior and an abrupt cancellation of the remainder of his tour, Kanye West is being held at UCLA Medical Center for a psychiatric evaluation. Kanye did not go of his own volition, and was in fact restrained when he was transported to the psych ward.

Kanye started to unravel a few days ago in Sacramento, when he cut his concert short to go on a rant about Trump, Clinton, Mark Zuckerberg, and Jay Z and BeyoncĂ©, saying this about Jay Z, as reprinted by Page Six: “Jay Z, call me, bro. You still ain’t call me. Jay Z, call me. Hey, bro, Jay Z, I know you’ve got killers. Please don’t send them at my head. Just call me. Talk to me like a man.”

In even more Kanye news, he recently sat down for an interview with Surface Magazine; here are some of the, um, highlights?:

What’s your version of utopia?
"I don’t think people are going to talk in the future. They’re going to communicate through eye contact, body language, emojis, signs. Imagine that. If everyone was forced to learn sign language.

When I was a kid, I’d see people who only spoke sign language and think, Wow, that’s gotta be difficult. I was really happy I could speak. Now, I would prefer to [West pantomimes someone signing], do that without having to use words. It’s funny because I’ve made a living off of words, but words get in the way of what you really want to say."

Wordless communication would be your preferred method?
"Yeah, sign language, eye contact. Or thank God for emojis. So often one emoji goes a long way and lets me get on with my whole day.

I don’t want to be a jerk, but there are certain people who are geniuses. Their emotional and social IQ is super high and they can get stuff done. Often, people who get really amazing stuff done have to cut off their emotional IQ. I can’t stand this whole “How was your day?” thing that agents always say. I’m like, “You don’t care about my day. Why’d you ask me about my day? Did we get done what we were supposed to get done?” But I do want to know how my daughter’s day was. I do want to get an explanation of what she learned in school. I sincerely care about that.


I think business has to be stupider. I want to do really straightforward, stupid business—just talk to me like a 4-year-old. And I refuse to negotiate. I do not negotiate. I can collaborate. But I’m an artist, so as soon as you negotiate, you’re being compromised."

You mentioned that you view yourself as an artist—
"I didn’t mention that I view myself that way. I just am. I never worded it like that. That’s really offensive. Why did you say I view myself like that? Do you not view me as an artist?"

I totally view you as an artist.
"Okay, cool."

So what is your personal definition of art?
"I would have a George Costanza moment if I were to answer this right now. I would come back in three days and be like, “I got this!” And sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable by saying what you said was offensive. But it was."

When you made an impromptu appearance at the Harvard Graduate School of Design in 2013, you said, “The world can be changed through the power of design.” Why do you think design is powerful enough to change the world?
"Did I already answer this before and you’re not letting me know the answer?"

Read the full interview at Surface Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment